Sunday, March 2, 2014

A Chess Blog

This my chess blog. I am enthralled with all aspects of this noble game so I thought I'd share my thoughts and experiences here. I've been playing seriously for about two years now and I started playing rated tournaments since last March. To date I've played in nine tournaments, all one day, three round events. I have a USCF rating of 1293P25. I used to play at my local chess club but found I prefer more serious, slow time controlled games. I play on FICS, usually G/60, and rarely on chess.com. I also play correspondence chess on chess.com and through the USCF.

I study, practice and play a lot. Daily, I do 15-30 minutes of tactics on chesstempo.com per day. I play about five games a week on FICS. I spend an hour or two a week studying openings and an hour or two going through Silman's Complete Endgame Course and Reaccess Your Chess. My roomate also plays and we go over each other's games together. I meet with a coach once a week. We work mainly on endgames but have some tactical and opening lessons as well.

I also coach chess. Once a week I coach a club at a local middle school. We have 22 fifth through eighth graders (including one girl!). We are only in our first year but a few of the members have had some success in local tournaments. I love working with kids and love chess it is a great combination.

Other than playing and studying the game I love meeting and socializing with those in the chess community. I have met club players, tournament players, coaches, kids and parents. It's a wonderful life.

Well, that's it for now. Upcoming posts will be my plans and goals for the future and my experience at the North Carolina K-12 Chess Championship.

Good Chess!

No comments:

Post a Comment